Kimono the bohemian staple was one of the hottest trends this summer and the go-to outfit for summer festivals. Kimono is a great way to update your outfit, add colour, vibrancy and movement to your look. It can be perfect for the days when you need an extra layer and it will be a great piece for transitional months.
Kimono is also such a versatile piece – you can wear it pretty much with everything – try it over from jeans and a tee to a pencil dress and camisole. You can even wear it instead of a dress.
There are so many different styles to choose from – long, short, midi, prints, fringes, silky or oversized. Wear it for a brunch or throw it on over a slip dress or romper for a cocktail hour but keep these style tips in mind.
1. Keep the rest of your look simple and modern to avoid looking a costumey.
2. Stick to lighter fabrics in summer, layered over simple tops and skirts, then transition to a light-knit kimono when the autumn comes, teamed with jeans and boots.
3. Kimono can be a great alternative to a blazer so for office wear stick to simple prints or block colours.
4. Always keep your bottom part tailored to avoid looking boxy.
5. Wear high-heels or wedges to elongate the silhouette.
6. Choose the right length – the safest option for all body types is waist-length. Unless you are tall, you should avoid full-length as it will swamp your frame.
7. Avoid lace and sheer silk in nude or soft-pink – your kimono might be mistaken for a nightwear.
My Picks From The HighStreet
1. Floral Crop Sleeves Kimono £13
2. Chicnova Fashion Floral Print Loose Fit Half Sleeves Blue Kimono £15
3. Boohoo Abigail Blurred Print Open Shoulder Kimono £18
4. Batwing-sleeved Tasselled-hem Printed Kimono £13